Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Learning to Read, Staring Micah...

Yesterday was Bria's Library day at school, and she brought home this book...

This is not the normal reading material she brings home (cuz she is a fantastic reader), but it worked out well cuz I'm trying to teach Micah how to sound out different words.

Just to give you a "taste" of the book, here are a couple of the pages...

Super easy right? So, I would point to each letter, have Micah figure out the sound, and help him put the sounds together to form a word. It was great to see how excited he would get when he got a word right!

Then we came to this page...He looked at it for quite awhile cuz he thought it was a "boat", but realized that the word started with an 'S'. He looked completely confused!

Me: Micah did you know that "sh" put together says "shhhhh"?

Micah: Oh, it does? Ok mommy.

Me: Let's try this word.

I put my finger under the 'sh'...

Micah: Shhhh

I put my finger under the 'I'...

Micah: says the 'i' sound, then...totally excited and innocently says, "Shhhhh...iiiii....I KNOW MOMMY!!!...SHITS!"

Me: I am DYING of laughter! Seriously I almost fell off his bed! Of course he has NO idea what that word is. It was seriously the funniest moment!

We continued on to the other pages, after I corrected him. He really is turning into a wonderful reader! Bad words and all:)

8 comments:

kingwritergirl said...

That is AWESOME!!

Amelia said...

That is such a good entry. He will love that story when he is older!

Lara Neves said...

Hilarious! :) Thanks for the laugh!

Georges said...

oh...my...goodness!! That kid is too funny! :p. I seriously was laughing so loud and almost fell over too! I love that story and will remember it for years to come I'm sure!! I love Micah!!

Tricia said...

funny

Jenny said...

What a good reader, ha ha!

Maddy said...

I knew you guys were potty mouths ;D

Anonymous said...

Dang, Holly what are you teaching that kid? Just kidding! Cool Micah, you're already learning to read! good luck!

Brooke