Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How it Happened...

Many of you have asked HOW Colton got hit by a car...so let me tell ya...

One of our many rules is that the kids are NOT allowed in the front yard without me. Call me crazy cuz we live at a dead-end...but whatever! So, a couple kids came over to play in the backyard, and for some reason, rules don't seem to apply when friends are over. Anyways, I was sitting in the backyard talking to a neighbor, and suddenly realized that the boys were no longer back there (They were in the front yard no more than 3 or 4 minutes). So...I poked my head in the house and asked Bria to go get her brothers and tell them to get to the back of the house so I could continue watching them. Honestly, about 10 seconds later, Bria runs back to me and says, "Mom...Colton is really hurt." My instant thought was, "Of course he is...he didn't listen to his mother..." (I know that's insensitive, but they KNOW the rules) Then, guilt set in when I saw our cute new neighbor RUNNING to our house with a screaming Colton in her arms. She kept saying, "I'm SOOOO sorry, this is my worst nightmare!" She put him down on our driveway, and he didn't want anyone to touch him! His back was super bloody, and he complained about his leg and arm hurting. Anyways, come to find out...Our neighbor was driving to her house, and stopped in the middle of the street to talk to her daughter. While she was stopped, Colton went infront of her car. She didn't see Colton, so when she started going again, she hit him. Luckily, Colton had his scooter. Our neighbor ran over it...and that's when she stopped, picked him up and ran him to our house. At first we thought she ran over him, but after many tests and no evidence of tire-tread on his body, we concluded that she hit and threw him...hence the road rash on his back, and minor injuries. SO lucky!!! Crazy huh!

Colton is still frustrated...but...just realized last night that he can scoot and go wherever he wants. This morning he got off his bed all by himself and made his way into our room for some cartoons. It was MUCH better than him SCREAMING for us to get him in the morning. Day by day it's getting easier, and we really have been counting our blessings!

9 comments:

Blythe said...

That sounds SO scary! I'm glad that Colton is okay...but that must have been a terrifying experience for you. He looks cute in his cast though! :)

crystal said...

Holly!! I am so sorry! I am so glad he is okay! SO SCARRY!!

brookelovesjay said...

That boy is so tough! I'm sorry you guys all had to go through it. When jason told me one of your boys got hit with a car I was totally freaking out for you! I kept calling and texting him every half hour to see if he heard any updates. I'm grateful he didn't have any major injuries.

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh!! It's lucky that she wasn't going any faster!! I hope that his recover is a speedy one!!

Anonymous said...

That's so scary/sad:). Be sure to tell Colton that we're thinking of him . . . poor guy!

Brooke Anderson

P.S. I have a blog! I share it with my friend Bailey. Be sure to check it out! utahcookielovers.blogspot.com-it is private, so if you are having troubles getting to it call my mom!

Kari Cole said...

Your blog never ceases to amaze me, Holly! Glad everyone is okay.

Sabine Berlin said...

That is so scary! I have been always terrified to back out I always roll down my window and yell to make sure no kids are there, but I know I have done the same thing to stop and talk to someone and just drove on. I am so glad he is okay. That is a lucky kid.

Kari Clark said...

You're so right, that is my worst nightmare, too. I'm so glad that it wasn't more serious!

swampbaby said...

Oh.my.gosh! I think I would have passed out if I was her or you! I'm so glad it wasn't worse and he is on the mend.