Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween Bloopers

So...here's the story...Bria wanted to be Hannah Montana for Halloween this year. So, I went to a costume store and found a great wig that didn't cost me very much. When I took it out of the package, the bangs were sticking straight out. Something HAD to be done right? I mean, the kids had a Halloween party to go to in about 2 hours, so I better style it right? I know (well, I know NOW), you're not supposed to "style" wigs...unless of course they are made from "real" hair. So, I turned on the curling iron, put on the wig, and started to curl the bangs...I mean...SINGE the bangs. Then I thought, 'Maybe the curling iron was too hot', so I turned down the heat, and tried again. The bangs just shrivled! Duh!!! There was a girl in our home giving Bria a violin lesson, and she told me to just cut off the "under layer" of bangs, so I did. They stuck out even more. We were really trying to get the wig to work by tucking and pinning...with no luck. Bria took the wig off, threw it down on the counter and said, "this wig is UGLY, I just want to go as Maile Cyrus"!!! Quick thinkin! But, that doesn't really count as a costume, so Bria decided to go as a princess to the party. Really that experience was hilarious! I'm glad I learned a little somethin' that day:0)
This morning, I sent Damon on an errand. I needed him to find another Hannah Montana wig, because today we were to celebrate Bria's birthday...Halloween style. Lucky for me (and the wig), the only wig Damon could find was a little more expensive than the original one I bought...so...it came out of the package very nicely. No curling needed:0) Her party was really fun! We had about 20 girls over to help her celebrate. We played the "giant spider web" game, Halloween 4 corners, ate lunch (mummies in a blanket, witch's finger sandwiches and chocolate dipped pretzels), opened presents and had cake and ice cream. I don't know why...but all of the parties we have for the kids are very mello! It makes for a nice party!!! I have to give props to Kami who gave me the idea for Bria's cake. It's a huge cupcake, and I love it! Kami decorated hers perfectly...mine...not so much. (Kami, what is your frosting secret?) When I finished frosting it, Damon came down stairs and said, "Now, all you need to do...is to put a couple Smurfs next to it." I just looked at him a little ticked off because I had been frosting the darn thing for an hour...hand piping and re-doing. Then he added, "Come on...You don't think that looks like a Smurf Hut?" Yeah, he was right.













It was so funny because Bria's bangs kept coming out from under her her wig. She was crackin me up!














Here are some of the girls playing "4 Corners". Basically it's a little dance party, until the music stops...kind of like musical chairs. The girls LOVED this and wanted to play the entire party!!! Thank goodness for "time-fillers"!














Singing to Bria.














We just returned home for our ward "Trunk-or-Treat" and dinner. We got there about 30 minutes late and all the food was gone! I couldn't believe how many people showed up! Anyways, the kids had so much fun going from car to car, collecting as many goodies as possible! What a fun and crazy day! Isn't Colton just the CUTEST cowboy you've ever seen??? Colton got what was left of the soup...and he loved it!













The kids "trunk-or-treating" with Emi, Eliza and Sharon. They had so much fun! Isn't Micah's costume awesome?! He won't take it off, he loves it so much.













There's Bria's wig again. I need a little more time before Halloween to fix that hair!

8 comments:

Scott and Stacia said...

How fun is that wig man. I just keep laughing. I hope you can get her hair to hide on Halloween :) The costumes are so cute. So glad the party was a hit. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Jon said...

That is crackin me up about the smurf hut. When I read that I was laughing so hard on the inside. I could totally see that whole scene playing out with you getting ticked and Damon coming back with that comment. haha. Cute kids, cute party, how fun! And I LOVED the game 4 corners but completely forgot about it until now. I'll have to play that in the future with our kiddies. Classic.

Vanessa said...

And I didn't realize that Jon was signed into his account. Whoops, the comment was really from me. Yeah, can you see Jon saying all that. Nah.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Yay, You made it, I think it looks great! I love all the drama with the wig, too funny. Fun costumes this year. So, about the frosting, mine was an ordeal as well. I used a white mountain frosting which is basically egg whites and sugar beaten to stiff peaks. then I tinted some yellow and some orange.

Amy said...

You have been busy!!! Loving the costumes and it sounds like the party was a blast. I don't think you need a smurf, either!

Maddy said...

I love the wig story! That sounds just like something I would do. The cake turned out so cute and the girls looked like they were having a lot of fun!

Laura Lee said...

Happy Birthday Bria!! She is looking pretty cute in that Hannah Montana Wig.

Lara Neves said...

Hi Holly!
So I just found Maddy's blog somehow...and now yours, and look at all the friends I've lost touch with that you have linked! Yay!

Your kids are so cute! Looks like you had a great Halloween, despite the wig malfunction. :)