Saturday, June 28, 2008

100 POSTS!!!

I can't believe I've already reached the 100 POST mark!!! Yowsers! Thanks to (almost)everyone who comes to our site, and for your wonderful comments! We love keeping in touch with all of you!!!
On a totally different note...I need your help with a little something...
So, on our blog...we have a "tracker" that tells us who's been on our site, what site they came from, where they live, and what they've been looking at...bet ya didn't know that, did ya??? I was looking at all this information today, and found that there are people in India, Mexico, the Czech Republic, (*edit) Missori, Nevada, Utah and now Germany that, within the last week, are specifically looking at pictures of Micah on the internet, by doing searches for his name. Our last name is extreemely uncommon, and as far as we know...he is the only Micah (enter last name) in the world...so for someone to be looking for, and finding specific pictures of him Really freaked me out!!! Long story short, I think we need to take our last name out of our blog address!!! That's really the only way they're able to find him on the internet...I think... Anyways, I really don't want to go private, but feel the need to change our blog address.
Any suggestions for a new blog title?????

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Damon! It's Ryan Thacker. You have a beautiful family. Check out our blog www.fiveboysandagirl.blogspot.com
We live in Highland and would love to get together with you guys! I'm glad you didn't make your blog private because I just found this on Friday.

Evaly said...

Wow- that's really creepy. I've been thinking about going private too, but I love being able to find random people that I knew. I would definitely change your blog address though. I wouldn't want my last name out there either.

Maddy said...

WOO HOO! And the Micah thing is seriously creepy. I'm the same as everyone else -- I don't like people going private because you can't stumble on them!

Is damonandholly.blogspot.com taken? SO CREATIVE -- I know!!! Or wherethewildthingsare. Ha ha ha!

Scott and Stacia said...

Okay so how do you get info about all these strangers looking at your blog. There is a site called Howmanyofme.com. I think it is interesting. There are only 335people in the US with your last name.
Is your blog private(not sure this is the right word...doesn't have a password but isn't searchable)? If it is then they are finding you through other peoples links, or your comments on friends links. I would be sure to switch to private. Love ya!

Scott and Stacia said...

Hey if you search your last name your blog is #3. I cant seem to find ours anywhere. I believe that is because we made ours private..I will have to find out for you!

Scott and Stacia said...

Just kidding I just found it!

Lara Neves said...

That is scary, but also extremely odd. Have you googled his name to see what else comes up, that these people might be looking for?

I'd probably change your address though, if I were you. Just make sure you save a hard copy of all your old posts, because I don't think they transfer.

CJF said...

Yeah they can find you through other sites like some one mentioned off of friends or family websites if you're mentioned there. I try to watch what I type but then our name label is just too easy to use. I would like to go private but chris hates logging in for everything.

The Toronto Family said...

When you go into your blog settings you can slick the option to not having if found through search engines. If you go to settings click "no" under blog listings and also search engines and then it will not come up when you google your last name. That is way to be a little safer with out going privet. But you can still be found through comments. Also Micah is more common then you think, I have had a couple friends with kids names Micah and I'm not that popular. How did you find all that info out anyway? I would really like to know.

Lynn Turner, AG said...

Lynn and I have a friend who had a stalker, and she had to make her blog private. He harassed her by calling her employer and everything. If your last name appears anywhere in your blog, and Micah's name appears anywhere in your blog, can't a google search still turn up your son's picture?
Tricia

Jeni and Dave said...

This is just so interesting to me. It's making me reflect a bit on my own blog because I am often wanting to get our last name out of ours and keep thinking I should go invite-only. Hmmm....

Holly said...

A lot of people have been asking me about HOW I found the info through my site. I have a tracker through statcounter.com I know that if I didn't have the tracker, I probably wouldn't know what was going on...and wouldn't be paranoid at all! By way of knowing that Micah is the only Micah with our last name...pretty much you have to be related to us to have the same last name. And...as far as we know there's no other Micah C. Hope that answers some questions.

Rach said...

Yeah, that is creepy. I try not to use the names of our kids on our blog. It's sad you have to be so careful about things like that.

Dani said...

I use stat tracker too, and that is also why I decided to go private. We had some strange goings on too, so I did what I felt was best for my family. Good luck!

Lisa said...

That is totally creepy! I have a tracker too. I get a lot of out of state IP addresses, but it is really rare for me to get one that is out of the country. That is really weird.