Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hospitals and Caramel Apples...

Sorry about the lack of posts...but we have been really busy with Micah the last couple days, my parents are now in town, and the kids are on Fall Break. Still no baby, but soon I'm sure. Maybe I really did "jinx" myself:o)

So, Micah has seen 2 more hospitals and his pediatrician in the last 2 days. The sore on his back is not going away...even taking antibiotics for 2 weeks...it's still there. Yesterday I took him to the pediatrician to have a follow-up visit before the baby comes, and she was extremely concerned...mostly because it hasn't gone away in 2 weeks. She sent us over to have ANOTHER ultrasound done at the AF Hospital. Today, Damon took Micah up to Primary's again to meet with a surgeon. He looked at Micah's sore, and basically told Damon that he will operate on it, but since the sore is SO close to the spine, Micah needed an MRI. I couldn't believe it! I was honestly thinking, 'just get rid of the darn thing already'...but...the surgeon said that if they operate and there are spinal nerve endings attaching to the sore, and they remove the sore, there's a good chance that Micah could be paralized. OK...do as many tests as you need to!

Anyways, Micah had an MRI today. They had to sedate him for the procedure. When Damon brought him home, I'd swear that Micah was drunk! He couldn't stand up straight, he slurred his words, he couldn't even sit up on the floor...he'd just fall over. I have to admit, it was extremely hilarious...especially when he would say things like, "Mom, I totally feel like my back is falling off!" At one point, he stood up to throw something in the trash and he crashed right into the cabnet and fell over. At that point, the laughing stopped and I realized how fragile he is right now. They said he'd be like that for a good 12-24 hours! He needs help going to the bathroom, getting upstairs, and even just sitting up to the bar to eat.

We'll keep you posted on him, but for now...his surgery is scheduled for Monday...so please pray for everything to be ok!!!

I figured that tonight was as good as any to make Caramel Apples with the kids. We did this last year at the Davis' house, and thought it would be a wonderful tradition!
First...unwrap 2 million caramels and have my little ones help:o) Can you see how "out-of-it" Micah is? Cute as ever, but out of it!
After melting the caramels, we coated the apples...
Melted some white chocolate...
...covered the apples with it, then sprinkled them with sugar and cinnamon...
Yummers! The only thing I would have done different??? I wouldn't have cooked the caramel as long! I could hardly cut the darn things:o)
I'll update again soon!!!

10 comments:

Evaly said...

K, those apples look so yummy! We're going to have to do that. Poor Micah- I'm sure everything will go well. Everytime I see that you have a new post, I am expecting baby news! I guess you like to build up the suspense :)

Lara Neves said...

I think there's a reason the baby isn't coming just yet....poor Micah!

I am in town and I have your Halloween decoration. We're going to Lehi tomorrow afternoon, so I think I will stop by then. Let me know if that's not okay.

Amy said...

Poor little guy! That is simply awful! I hope all goes well on Monday.

Sarah said...

Why do things always happen like that when we are 9 months pregnant? Hope everything goes OK.

Lisa said...

Poor Micah... I can't believe that thing is still there...ahhh!
Those apples look yummy!

Tricia said...

Yum! I think I'll do that later today! I've never done it before.

I would be laughing at Micah, too! He does look like he's drunk in that picture!

Hope you have your baby today, on your mom's birthday. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep it in there for quite a while longer.

Jenny said...

Poor Micah. Why do these things always happen when you are about to give birth? If you need any help, please let me know. I would be happy to take your kids any time.

lramey said...

oh ,your poor micah! weird thing is that my friend's little boy is dealing with the same thing right now! hmmm...what's going on???

now those carameled apples- oh boy! i'm drooling all over my key board. I may have to copy you...but i'm not supposed to be eating treats...but maybe i'm going to quit this diet thing right now.

Scott and Stacia said...

So sorry to hear that Micah is still having to deal with that sore. Poor guy!! He will be in our prayers. Enjoy Mom's birthday!!

The Toronto Family said...

you are in our prayers!!!