Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How it all Happened...

After my experience last Monday, and having a "downer of a day" on Tuesday...I decided that this baby was gonna come when it was good and ready! So, I stopped the skipping and running...and just went on with my life. I was able to schedule all 3 of our appointments for Visiting Teaching last Thursday...one right after the other...which was wonderful. When we were wrapping up our last visit, I started contracting every 5 minutes and felt extremely crampy. I told my companion that I needed to go, and we left about 10 minutes later.
When I got home, I told my mom how I was feeling and she suggested that I go see my doctor, get checked, and see if I had changed since Monday. So I did...I went in around 3:30pm. Unfortunetly, my doctor had already left for her vacation, so I had to see someone else. Anyways, she said to me, "I honestly don't know how you're even walking right now! You are almost at 7 cm, just about 90%, and your baby is MAYBE 2 inches inside of you. I could tell you right now that your baby has 2 ears...that's how low it is!" So, I was sent home for an hour to walk around...to see if I was in "active labor" (cuz honestly, I never know when I'm in labor!!!). Funny thing...Right when I got out of the car at our home, I had this conversation with my dad...not word-for-word, but you get the idea...
Me: (rushing passed him to get my bags) Hey dad, the doctor said I'm almost to a 7.
Dad: Is there a Beauty School around here? I really need a haircut.
Me: Did you hear what I just said?
Dad: Yeah, did you hear what I just asked you? I think I remember there being one in Provo, but is there one closer?
Me: Ummm...I'm going to the hospital in the next hour. You're supposed to watch the kids when this happens. You're not going anywhere!!!
Dad: Well, I guess I can hold off...but...I really need a haircut.
Me: (knowing that he doesn't understand the meaning of "I'm going to the hospital" or "I'm almost at a 7") FINE...I'll cut your hair...because I'm going to the hospital, and you need to be here with the kids!
So, there I am...almost at a 7 and 90%...cutting my dad's hair! So silly don't you think? I must admit though, I did a pretty good job under pressure (no pun intended), and I think I got the point across that he was NOT to leave the house for any reason:o) The kids had a great time with their papa!
I went back to the doctor around 4:30pm to get checked again, and hadn't changed much...so...she "stripped me", and sent me to the hospital where I was immediately admitted.
The doctor met me at the hospital. I got my epidural and had the doctor break my water around 7:00 pm. She came back in to check me at about 8:50 pm and I was at 8 cm. RIGHT when she left, I had a 12 MINUTE contraction, and felt like pushing...so...I was checked again...and was complete. Can you believe I went from an 8 to a 10 during my 12 minute contraction? Unfortunetly, my epidural was wearing off a little, and I pushed the "magic button" about 10 minutes too late...and felt just about everything! I started pushing at 9:07 pm, and Josiah was born at 9:14 pm!!! 7 MINUTE labor?!?!? Yowsers!
It was wonderful! If you missed the labor pics, you can check out my friend Jess' blog. I'm so glad she was able to be there cuz you never get pictures like these...ever! You just live the moment, and take pictures afterwards. This was truly a treat!!!
So, thanks dad for watching the kids...mom for being there with us...Damon for enjoying the experience with me (and for being such a wonderful father/husband...etc...)...Jess for taking such amazing pictures...and our Father in Heaven for sending this angel to our family!!! He truly is a blessing!
And...for your viewing pleasure...here's a picture of Josiah after his bath last night...

He hates getting his body washed, but LOVES for us to scrub and massage his head. Such a cutie!

17 comments:

Anita said...

I LOVE the haircutting story!! Hilarious! I remember when my water broke with Tyson at 11pm and Mike said "oh I better have a quick nap. I'll be so tired if the baby is born in the middle of the night". So he slept while I timed my own darn contractions! Guys have NO CLUE sometimes:)

Vanessa said...

Good story, great experience, and you absolutely suck for having such an easy labor(s)!

Lisa said...

Baby Josiah is such a cutie! I love his cheeks! I am glad everything is going well! Be sure to let me know if you need anything!

ang said...

Okay, that story about your dad is SO HILARIOUS!!!!!! I'm crying!!

Blythe said...

Congrats again Holly! You're a champ and Josiah is adorable!

By the way, how come I've never been special enough to make it onto your blog list? Hm?

Shannon & Summer said...

Hi Holly! I found your blog from Darla's...I met you at her families sealing. Congratulations on your new baby!!

crazy4danes said...

Your dad is so funny!!! Congrats on such a beautiful baby! And I'm so glad that everything went well for the both of you! Sounds like a nice quick and to the point labor! Lucky you! :D

Keep resting up and enjoy your new little one! :)

Sarah said...

First, I can't believe you could walk around 7 cm with your 4th kid! That's amazing. And second, if you had already made it to 7 or 8, why did you even get that stupid epidural? You should have just went for it! (Which it sounds like kind of happened anyways!) You are a trooper to have that much patience for so long. And he is sooo darn cute! Congratulations!

Rach said...

Giving your Dad a haircut while you were at a 7?? Seriously, how were you even standing?

Sarah said...

Holly-
E-mail me, so I can respond back!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

The pictures your friend took are beautiful! I always wished for better delivery pictures.
Is there a better smell than a new baby fresh from a bath? :-)

Scott and Stacia said...

Why would the doctor send you home if you were a 7?? That sounds crazy to me. I had Jacen 2 hours after I was a fingertip...1 hour of hard contractions (an 8 & nearly 100% after that) Then pushed for an hour, darn baby was so big doc had to use the vacuum. no induction, no epidural...just 2 hours! The pictures on Jess's blogg are so cute. Can't wait to meet Josiah!!! Glad all went well and that you were able to cut dad's hair :) (that makes me laugh)

swampbaby said...

Wow, Holly, you are amazing. Giving haircuts while a baby's falling out of you... already posted a few times up on your blog...How are you functioning so much?? You crazy woman!

swampbaby said...

PS your baby is beautiful

Sara said...

Conrats. He is darling. Hooray!

Maddy said...

WOW! that was quite the ride. I think your dad and his haircut was my favorite part.

Enjoy!

Matt & Brooke said...

Wow, haven't checked blogs lately and a babies born. He's BEAUTIFUL!!! and a great birth story!