So, we got to the hospital and were immediately put in a room. Dr. Sheffield came in, looked at the infection and pressed on it...and Micah didn't even budge! The Dr. was shocked that such an infection wouldn't cause more pain. That a grown man would be crying with the pressure he was applying to the infection. He gave me my options...
1. Basically...Do nothing. Continue giving Micah the antibiotics and watch the infection. If it gets worse, come back.
2. Send him to the OR this evening without 100% knowing what was going on under the skin, sedate him through an IV, make the incision larger and extract the infection. We'd be there all night and the total bill will be around $3000.
3. Have an ultrasound done to determine how large the infection is and go from there.
What would you have done?
Honestly, I just wanted this to all be over with. Normally I would go for option #2...in a heartbeat! Having a surgeon tell me that he wasn't really worried about the infection...I went for option #3. I kind of wanted him to have one done anyways, so why not? They did an ultrasound, and found that the sack of fluid was only 7mm x 7mm. The Dr. said if they went into the OR to extract that small amount of fluid, there's a great chance that they won't be able to pin-point exactly where the fluid is... Long story short (again), I decided to watch it tonight and, if it gets worse, I'll go in tomorrow to see the surgeon.
How frustrating...seriously! Here's what his infection looked like this evening...

Doesn't look too bad until you see it from the side...

If you don't know what you're looking at...the lighter part is Micah's back, and the darker part is the infection. Grossed out yet???
You know what's so wierd? The Dr. told me to give Micah a very warm shower and press around the infection after a good 20 minutes of him being in the shower. So I do this and he starts freaking out in pain! Why is it that everytime a child hurts, they only hurt at home for their mom? Then you get to the doctor (or hospital) and everything seems fine! I don't get it! I hope we're all done with hospitals for awhile!
15 comments:
I'm so sorry you guys have to deal with this! A friend of mine recently had a terrible infection like this. It lasted for weeks and she was in so much pain, you have one tough little boy.
Holly, I worked with Dr. Scheffield when I did my capstone at AF Hospital. He's a great Dr. I agree with a comment on your last post. Ask your ped Doc to order a culture to figure out what the infection is-so you know what your up against. Also, it looked like the redness had decreased a little from last night (could be the picture)good thing. Keep watching it, email me, let me know if I can help. Sweet Micah he sounds so brave through this whole ordeal. Have you considered a blessing? -Kam
Hey Kami...to answer some of your questions/concerns...
Yes, the doctors up at Primary's cultured the infection and we should know by tomorrow what kind of infection we're dealing with.
And yes...Damon gave him a blessing yesterday:o) Thank goodness for the Priesthood huh!
Thanks everyone for your concern and well wishes!!!
Yikes! That's nasty. Poor Micah! Hope the kiddo gets passed this soon and what ridiculous circus hoops they've put you through over something that seems could easily be corrected. Not downplaying the seriousness of it or what it CAN be, but you'd think these doctors knew EXACTLY what they are doing and have dealt with this same situation at some point in their careers. Esepcially to culture it the first day to know what they were dealing with as far as type of infection. Good job speaking up and asking for alternatives.
And children try to act brave in front of others, but when they are in the hands of thier mothers that's when all emtions seem to display themselves. Something about a mother's company, touch, and comfort.
Oh no! That thing is huge!!!! I feel so badly for poor little Micah :( I probably would have done what you did. I hope you get this all resolved before the baby comes.
Big smooches for Micah.
PS Am I the only one who didn't know the Petes had a blog until this week?
Oh, Poor Micah. That thing looks painful. Dealing with Doctors can be so frustrating sometimes. Keep us updated on how he is doing.
WOW! That is awful!!! It makes me sad when little kids go through painful things. It sounds like he is being a trooper, though.
I am so sorry. Poor Micah. i hope the next time you see a hospital is to have your baby. (not until Oct 16th though)
I can't believe what crazy things you guys have had to deal with! How horrible. I hope it gets better really soon. Hang in there.
I would have chosen option #2--see what the dr can find first. So I think you made the BEST decision :) I hope it all goes away really soon!!
I feel so bad for Micah. That looks like it hurts. Let me know if I can help with anything... like watch the other kids or something.
poor micah, that looks so sad. I'll have to keep looking in for updates. and I also am watching to see how the pregnancy is going. I'm sure you are getting ready for this baby. I remember going so nuts at the end of Davis. those last few weeks are so miserable. Good luck with everything. kaite
my husband has a staph infection that will never go away- it's with him for the rest of his life.
He breaks out all over his body in boils like this when he gets stressed. He has some medication, but the best medication for it destroyes your kidneys.
They get really big, he typically lances them himself and will even have black puss come out.
(I know, not terribly comforting)
In any case, he's learned to live with it. I woudn't wish that on anyone. If you need a really good dermatologist shoot me an email and I'll send you to who Brent sees.
It took 5 doctors to figure out what Brent had.
My brother had the same kind of infection on his arm. He also thought it was a spider bite. He had some serious complications with it. It sounds like things are going much better for Michah. Poor little guy!
yuck!!! i hope everything turns out ok!
Post a Comment