Monday, October 6, 2008

Poor Micah...

A couple days ago, Micah was complaining that his back was hurting and really itchy. So, we took a peek...and saw what we thought was a spider bite. Fast forward 2 more days, and this "bite" was getting very red, swollen and irritated. I took him into the doctor today and she told me that it is some type of bacterial infection...possibly a Staph infection? Bria just got rid of hers, so I kind of knew what to expect. She said, "I can numb the area, poke it with a needle and get as much of the infection out as I can, like I did with Bria...BUT...I'm worried about it getting even more infected. When the infected area is this large, I normally send the patient to Primary Children's Hospital. I think that's what we need to do." She went on to say that "with an infection this large, it's best that a surgeon cut it open and scoop out everything. There's less of a chance of an infection this way." So, our wonderful Pediatrician called up to Primary's, talked directly to a surgeon, and told us that Dr. Black was expecting us. Here's what his infection looked like just before his ride up to SLC with Damon...


In the first picture, you can see how red his skin is, and how much the infection had already spread!
Damon was telling me how ridiculous the whole process was. They had 3 different doctors look at the infected area...none of which were Dr. Black. The first had NO idea what he was looking at, the second thought it was some type of cyst, and the third verified what our Pediatrician had been saying all along. Super long story short, they had 2 nurses and 2 doctors holding Micah down (he is extremely strong!) so they could inject him with anesthetics. He was screaming the entire time. Then, the doctor cut his back at the "head" of the infection (while the 4 people were still holding him down)...and Micah felt EVERYTHING!!! Poor kid! And...guess what the doctor did? He pushed out as much of the infection as he could, gave Damon 2 perscriptions of antibiotics, and sent them on their way. *edit* Damon just informed me that he thinks the doctor who cut the wound open, and "took care of" Micah was a STUDENT! You have GOT to be kidding me! In addition to this, what is so upsetting to me is...

1. The simple fact that they didn't sedate Micah...and he suffered because of it!

2. Knowing that the doctors at Primary's did exactly what our Pediatrician was trying to avoid doing for fear of a major infection.

3. The drive to and from the hospital...during rush hour on the way back, for no reason.

4. Damon took most of the day off work, for no reason.

5. Micah is in as much pain now as he was before they left...only now...he has a nice cut on his back.

6. Our options are...Take him back up to Primary's tomorrow and try to find Dr. Black, OR...go see our Pediatrician. We're going with the second option.

How unnecessarily frustrating! It's just scary to me how contageous this infection is...especially with a new baby entering the picture! Cross your fingers that it is "over and done with" soon!

16 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

What a miserable experience for all of you! I hope he has a quick and speedy recovery.

Georges said...

Oh, poor boy!! It looks like a big pimple. I guess it's a good thing that you didn't pop it yourself. So glad to have read this because had I seen that, I probably would've tried to pop it myself not thinking anything of it...yuck!! Hope Micah is feeling better real soon!! Give him a kiss from his Aunty Tanya!!

J Glazier said...

Oh my goodness how SAD!! I hope the antibiotics kick in and he has a speedy recovery. Looks and sounds soo painful.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Holly, I can't even imagine. You think the Doctors at Primaries could come up with something better than that. Ask your doctor if you, Damon or Colton should get antibiotics so the rest of you don't get it. Staff is a nasty bug to get rid of and it spreads so fast. Good luck-Kam

Jo-Anne said...

OH, poor baby!!! That sounds like a horrifying experience! I hope you get some answers quick and his suffering (and yours!)will be over!
Take care--

Lara Neves said...

That looks awful! Were they scared it might be MRSA? What a terrible experience for him....hopefully you can get things resolved quickly and he will not be in pain anymore.

Lisa said...

OH man... poor Micah! I would be ticked off that they just cut into Micah and didn't sedate him first. That would be painful! Hopefully it heals soon!

Maddy said...

AUGH! Are you serious? I'd be spitting nails by this point. GRRR! Poor Micah :(

Jenny said...

You have got to be kidding me. Just what you don't need right now. Poor little guy. I hope he will be alright.

Dani said...

This reminds me SO much of what happened to Kirk about a month ago. His infection spread so fast and he had to go in for IV treatments. Did they take a culture to see if it is Staph? I can't believe how they treated him up there! Just make sure you watch it to see if the redness around it spreads. Good luck!

Tricia said...

Unbelievable! You should have your pediatrician call and complain to them over there. And holding him down?! That's something that you would expect from any regular hospital, but not a Children's Hospital!!

Scott and Stacia said...

I hope all goes well today. Let us know what the Pediatrician says. Why does it seem like these type of things only happen to you guys?! Hang in there. And keep that baby inside until this passes. By the way, how are you feeling. We should talk :) love ya

lramey said...

oh-poor little guy!!! that's soooo not fair! I'd be so bugged!!! Hope the next appt. goes MUCH better!!!!!!!that makes my heart hurt

swampbaby said...

Poor baby! The gloves need to come off now. Seriously. Don't just leave it at complaining with your pediatrician. Take it to the top.

kingwritergirl said...

Oh how sad! It's frusterating too because Primary Children's is suppose to be so wonderful at handeling things. I am so sorry. I hope things get cleared up!